Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th!

After 2 weeks in Uganda I have a newfound love and appreciation for the wonderful United States of America. I'm still having a really great time here and learning a lot, but today I am really missing home. I can just picture all of the barbecues, fireworks, banana pudding, patriotic sing-a-longs, hamburgers, family and friends.

Some things I am missing in the good 'ole USA:
1. the beach with my parents (they are there now, and I can just picture the white sand, clear blue water, mom reading a good book, and dad staring at the ocean praying for waves.)
2. running water (notice I am not even asking for hot water.)
3. five guys (can you tell I have hamburgers on the mind?)
4. toilets that flush
5. gender equality
6. 8 hour workdays (I will regret this statement one day, I know.)
7. Kevin O'Donnell (and Odie)
8. dishwashers
9. rules of the road
10. American football (sorry World Cup. it's been fun, but it's no Florida Football.)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

i didn't make the list because i'm not in the US right? i was in berlin on the 4th and i felt nostalgic too. we'll do it up big next year. miss you!

Unknown said...

I came in behind toilets that flush? That's actually pretty fair I'd say ;)

stephanie said...

i meant to include the disclaimer that the 10 items are in no particular order.

and yes Lisa. i will be sure to include you in my upcoming "things I'm missing in London" post.