Friday, June 4, 2010

Hello World

That may sound like a presumptuous greeting to start this blog, but let me explain. I begin with "hello world" not because I think the world will be reading this blog (thank goodness... that would be a lot of pressure to say something witty, charming and deep in every post, and I am certainly not promising THAT), but rather because the world is out there waiting, and my plans this summer are going to launch me out of my comfort zone and into new places where my only response will be to take a deep breath, smile, and greet the unexpected.

Also, hello blog world. This is new to me.

This summer, thanks to a God-thing, a stroke of good luck, or wishing on the right star (but seriously, I'm pretty sure it's a God thing), I have been given the opportunity to spend 6 weeks in Uganda working as a legal intern for Peace and Reconciliation Ministries in Africa, an organization pursuing peace in post-conflict areas through bible-based mediation, arbitration and reconciliation.

Where in the world is Uganda ?


The first phase of my trip begins on Sunday as I head to Phoenix, Arizona for two weeks of training, seminars, and lessons relating to the application of Christian principles to my legal studies. From there, another intern and I will pack our bags and begin our adventure with over 36 hours of travel to Lira, Uganda. In Uganda, the customary greeting is "jambo."

Jambo world.

No comments: