Friday, June 18, 2010

en route... kind of.

Well, it's here! The day I've been counting down to for months has arrived. We concluded the first portion of the program last night in Phoenix with a closing banquet and raucous karaoke at the bar next door. It was the perfect way to wrap up the past two weeks. The banquet gave us some time to reflect on the amount of knowledge that has been poured into us for the past two weeks (seriously, we had something like 32 sessions from different speakers over the course of two weeks), and it also allowed us a little time to transition into what we will be doing for the next six weeks all over the nation and world. And karaoke afterwards allowed some time to, um, sing really poorly. But at least we were able to do so in the company of new friends.

We also took some time this week for an excursion to Sedona where we took jeep tours, went horseback riding, and spent a day NOT in the conference room at the hotel. Much needed and so much fun.


The past few weeks have been really great and challenging. It's hard to succinctly summarize the reasons why, but I'll try. One thing I have picked up on is that law is not something that exists in a vacuum, but there is a real connection between law and culture, and as such, effectively engaging either requires a big picture perspective on law, history, theology, and people in general. Two weeks experience crammed into a sentence makes for a really long sentence, sorry.

Another thing I have realized is that I feel totally unprepared to begin whatever lies ahead in Uganda. That is probably because I don't entirely know what lies ahead. I started getting anxious until I was reminded that "we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" (Eph. 2:10). I don't have to be ready, just willing.

So I'm willing, and waiting. Waiting, waiting, waiting at the Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix after United Airlines decided to delay and cancel flights. But we'll get there... a little later than planned, and this time by way of London. So the next post will be all about Big Ben, fish and chips, and Hugh Grant (yes, these are the things I think of when I think of London). Cheerio until then!


(this is what a bunch of internet-deprived people do when stranded at the airport.)

No comments: